Thursday, October 12, 2006

Good Guys?

Last night, I began reading By the Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz. I came across a passage which was so well written that it made me smile. Writers often use metaphors to make stories more descriptively interesting. Sometimes while reading, I come across metaphors that sound kind of silly or seem inappropriate or far reaching. I thought that this one was amusing…

Although prepared to accept the blame for the implosion of every romance, second-guessing herself with the intense critical analysis of a bomb-squad cop deciding which of several wires ought to be cut to save the day, she finally concluded, not for the first time, that the fault resided less in herself than in those feckless men she’d trusted. They were betrayers. Deceivers. Given every benefit of the doubt, viewed through the rosiest of rose colored lenses, they were nonetheless swine, three little pigs who exhibited all the worst porcine traits and none of the good ones. If the big bad wolf showed up at the door of their straw house, the neighbors would cheer him when he blew it down and would offer him the proper wine to go with his pork-chop dinner.

I think that slow-cooked pork chops are delicious with sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and green beans.

The character that made this statement followed it up by calling herself a bitter vengeful bitch. She also wondered if she would ever meet a decent man.

I would like to hear a few romantic, true stories about...

Do you have one that you are willing to share?

1 comment:

Bud said...

I used to read a lot of Dean Koontz. Got away from him a while back. That passage ha two clever metaphors. I like the bomb squad one best. Hey, I AM a good guy. Just ask my wife. And I have lots of friends who are females and I've always been honorable. Um, Pork with red cabbage is a fav or mine.